Kitten Is Dirty But Safe After She’s Rescued From A Sooty Chimney

Written by: Adri Sandoval
Adri Sandoval is the Special Projects Manager for iHeartDogs and iHeartCats. Her work has deepened her love for animals, fostering a strong passion for rescue and animal advocacy.Read more
| Published on June 20, 2017

When Lola’s humans couldn’t find her, they started to panic. But when they started hearing little meows coming from inside their chimney, the mystery was solved!

The kitten had not been in her home in Liverpool long when she went missing. After four days, her family began to fear for the worst.

Luckily, Lola was in close proximity the whole time – but she was completely inaccessible! In the unfamiliar environment, the kitty had found a place to hide, behind the fireplace. Unfortunately, she’d gotten too far inside and couldn’t get back out.

Image Source: RSPCA


“From there, she had somehow managed to climb inside the chimney – about 8ft up it,” said RSPCA inspector Matt Brown in a press release. He’d arrived on the scene when the desperate family called for help.

“We got the call at 8.30am and we finally managed to free her at 12.30pm. By the time we got her out, we were completely covered in soot – but getting her safely freed was worth a dirty uniform! She came out looking bedraggled and dazed,” Brown explained.

Image Source: RSPCA

“We had to devise a plan to get her free, so at first we climbed up on the roof and were poking rods down to see if it would help her get down. When they didn’t work, we took the fireplace off and, using long poles, managed to free her. It took some time but it was definitely a worthy job. We were all so pleased to have her free.”

Image Source: RSPCA

Lola was taken to the vet where she was microchipped, spayed, and given a clean bill of health.

Luckily, someone decided to snap a few photos of the soot-covered RSPCA inspector before he left. (Good thing he has a sense of humor!)

Image Source: RSPCA

We’re so glad that this story has a happy ending. Hopefully, Lola has learned never to sneak up the chimney again!