iHeartCats is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
When it comes to our littlest feline friends, finding the best kitten treats to satisfy their taste buds and nutritional needs can be quite a quest. But we’ve got you and your little precious covered!
In this comprehensive article, we’ll delve into the world of cat treats for kittens, reviewing some of the top options available. Moreover, we’ll explore the essential factors to consider when selecting the right choice for your little furball to help deliver a rewarding and healthy snacking experience. Lastly, you’ll find the answers to cat parents’ most common questions about kitten treats, providing you with valuable insights and guidance. Get ready to embark on a journey to discover the finest options tailored to pamper your beloved kitten!
Buyer’s Guide: Factors to Consider When Shopping for the Best Kitten Treats
When choosing treats for your little one, consider these factors:
Look for treats specifically designed for kittens, as their nutritional needs differ from adult cats. Kittens require treats that support their growth and development. Those made for adult cats could also upset kitten bellies.
Check the ingredient list to ensure treats are made with high-quality, nutritious ingredients. The best kitten treats will have real meat or protein sources, such as chicken or fish, as the main ingredient. Avoid anything containing fillers, artificial additives, preservatives, or excessive carbohydrates.
Consider the nutritional content. Look for choices that provide essential nutrients, including protein, vitamins, and minerals. Treats with added benefits, such as those promoting dental health or containing omega-3 fatty acids for skin and coat health, can also be beneficial.
Kittens may have different preferences when it comes to treat textures. Some may prefer crunchy treats to help with teething, while others may prefer softer or chewy treats. Observe your kitten’s preferences and choose the best kitten treats for their preferences accordingly.
Allergies and sensitivities
If your kitten has known food allergies or sensitivities, select options free from the problematic ingredients. Avoid common allergens like grains, soy, or dairy if your kitten is sensitive to them.
Treat size and shape
Consider the size and shape, especially if you plan to use them for training purposes. Small treats that are easy to handle can be more convenient during training sessions.
Reputation and brand reliability
Choose options from reputable brands known for their commitment to quality and safety. Read reviews, check for certifications, and look for brands that follow strict manufacturing standards.
If you’re unsure about which ones to choose, consult your veterinarian. They can provide specific recommendations based on your kitten’s needs and dietary requirements.
By considering these factors, you can make an informed decision and choose options that are both tasty and beneficial for your furry companion. Now, let’s have a look at the best cat treats for kittens.
The 7 Best Kitten Treats To Spoil Your Little Feline
1 – Blue Buffalo Baby BLUE Kitten Crunchies Grain Free Treats
Blue Buffalo Baby BLUE Kitten Crunchies are made with real chicken and free from grains to support a healthy growth cycle. The nutrient-rich recipe helps boost the immune system while promoting a shiny coat and balanced digestion. They also include DHA and ARA, essential fatty acids found in mother’s milk. And it’s only the best for your baby kitty with a recipe free of poultry by-product meals, BHA, red dye, and artificial preservatives. The low-calorie content makes them an ideal choice as training treats for kittens too.
- High-quality protein for muscle growth
- Supports immune health and digestion
- Promotes healthy skin and coat
- Grain-free kitten treats for sensitive kittens
- Low-calorie kitten treats
- Some kittens might not care for the crunchy texture
2 – Temptations Kitten Treats
Temptations Kitten Treats deliver a delicious, balanced blend for kittens’ discerning taste buds. Packaged in a pocket-friendly pouch, these bite-sized crunchy treats house a delectable soft center, satisfying both crunch and creaminess. Although these top-rated kitten treats contain a mix of real poultry and dairy, some artificial flavorings are also present.
- Highly palatable, even for picky kittens
- Suitable for training and bonding
- Convenient packaging
- Well-known brand
- Thousands of positive ratings and reviews from cat parents
- Contains some artificial flavors
- Not grain-free; may not be ideal for kittens with grain sensitivities
3 – INABA Churu for Kittens
INABA Churu for Kittens is a distinctively enticing treat, providing a creamy texture that kittens can’t resist. The primary ingredient in this lickable kitten treat is pure, high-quality tuna or chicken, complemented by Calcium for bone growth, DHA from fish oil for brain & vision development, and EPA to support healthy development & immunity in growing kittens. Start the bonding process with your kitten while treating them with a low-calorie/high-moisture treat infused with Taurine and Vitamin E.
- Excellent for finicky eaters due to the unique texture
- Supports hydration with its high moisture content
- Good supplemental source of taurine
- Pricier than some other brands
- Packaging can be a bit messy
4 – Tiki Cat Grain Free Soft & Chewy Low-Calorie Treats for Cats & Kittens
Tiki Cat Grain-Free Soft & Chewy Low-Calorie Treats are a fantastic option for health-conscious kitten parents. They pack a powerful protein punch, using high-quality chicken or fish as the primary ingredient. And because they’re formulated for all stages, you can feed your kitten these soft treats from their youngest days to their senior years.
- High-quality, natural ingredients
- Soft and chewy texture that kittens love
- Small sized for small or sensitive mouths
- Limited flavor variety
- Crumble easily
5 – FELINE GREENIES SMARTBITES Healthy Kitten Treats
FELINE GREENIES SMARTBITES Healthy Kitten Treats are packed with real chicken, fish oil, and other essential nutrients. These dental kitten treats are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside and contain no artificial flavors, preservatives, or fillers. They’re made with DHA to support brain & vision development in growing kittens.
- Supports skin and coat health with fish oil
- Nutrient-rich formula for kittens’ growth and development
- Kittens enjoy the dual texture
- Cleans teeth while freshening breath
- Top-rated kitten treats with thousands of positive reviews
- Contains some grain and other filler ingredients
- May not be suitable for kittens with dietary sensitivities
6 – Get Naked Kitten Health Soft Treats
Get Naked Kitten Health Soft Treats are grain-free, semi-moist, and a hit with lots of kittens. Formulated with real chicken, DHA, and taurine, they’re designed to support kitten growth, brain function, and overall health. And when you break them in half, they serve as ideal training treats for kittens.
- High-quality protein source promotes healthy growth
- DHA supports brain and eye development
- Taurine aids in heart and vision health
- Limited flavor variety
- Slightly pricier than other brands
7 – Fruitables Crunchy Treats For Cats
Fruitables Crunchy Treats For Cats are an innovative choice, combining tantalizing flavors like salmon and cranberry. These low-calorie treats have a unique crunchy texture and are free from artificial ingredients. Your kitten will love the goodness of nutrient-rich superfoods like flaxseed, pea fiber, tuna, and pumpkin.
- Unique flavor combinations appeal to many cats
- Low in calories, good for weight management
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Some cats may not prefer the unique flavors
- Not grain-free; may not be ideal for cats with grain sensitivities
FAQs About the Best Kitten Treats
Is there a difference between cat treats and kitten treats?
Yes, there can be differences between cat treats and kitten treats. Kittens have specific nutritional requirements during their growth and development stages, and their treats should cater to those needs. Kitten treats are often formulated to provide essential nutrients, including higher levels of protein, vitamins, and minerals necessary for their growth. Additionally, options for kittens may have a smaller size or softer texture to accommodate their smaller mouths and developing teeth. Cat treats, on the other hand, are generally designed for adult cats and may have different formulations and flavors. Choose options specifically labeled for kittens to ensure they receive the appropriate nutrition and support for their age and stage of life.
When can I start giving my kitten treats?
You can start giving treats to your kitten once they are weaned and eating solid food, typically around 4 to 6 weeks of age. However, it’s important to introduce them gradually and in moderation. Start by offering small, soft treats that are easy for your kitten to chew and digest.
As your kitten grows older and becomes more accustomed to treats, you can explore a wider variety of options. Always read the package instructions and consult your veterinarian to ensure you select options suitable for your kitten’s age and nutritional needs. Remember, treats should complement their balanced diet and not replace regular meals.
What ingredients should I avoid in kitten treats?
Here are some ingredients to avoid in your little one’s snacks:
- Artificial additives: Avoid choices containing artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives, such as BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin. These additives can be potentially harmful and offer no nutritional benefit.
- Fillers and by-products: Look out for treats containing fillers like corn, wheat, or soy. These ingredients offer little nutritional value and can be difficult for kittens to digest. Similarly, avoid treats that contain meat by-products, as the quality and source of these ingredients may be questionable.
- Excessive carbohydrates: Kittens have a higher protein requirement than adult cats. Options with high carbohydrate content, like those with excessive grains or sugars, may not provide the nutrition your growing kitten needs.
- Artificial sweeteners: Sweeteners like xylitol can be toxic to cats and should be avoided. Always check the ingredient list to ensure there are no artificial sweeteners present.
- Allergens: If your kitten has known food allergies or sensitivities, stick with hypoallergenic cat treats for kittens. Avoid those with ingredients they’re allergic to.
Instead, look for options with high-quality real meat or protein sources, such as chicken, turkey, or fish. Natural ingredients and limited or no additives are preferable. Remember to read the labels carefully and choose selections that align with your kitten’s dietary needs and preferences. If you have specific concerns, consult your veterinarian for personalized recommendations.
Should I consider the calorie content of treats for my kitten?
Yes, considering the calorie content is important for your kitten’s overall diet and weight management. Treats should be given in moderation to avoid excessive calorie intake, which can lead to weight gain and potential health issues. Kitten treats should complement their balanced meals rather than replace them.
To ensure your kitten’s calorie intake remains appropriate, choose treats specifically formulated for kittens and stick with the feeding guidelines and recommended serving sizes on the packaging. This can help you gauge how many treats are suitable for your kitten’s age, size, and activity level.
How do I introduce treats to my kitten’s diet?
Introducing treats to your kitten’s diet can be an enjoyable experience for both of you.
Follow these steps for success when introducing treats to your kitten:
- Choose appropriate treats: Select options specifically designed for kittens, considering their nutritional needs and small size.
- Start with small portions: Begin by offering your kitten a small portion of the treat. You can break it into smaller pieces if needed. This allows your kitten to sample the treat and get accustomed to its texture and taste.
- Use positive reinforcement: Offer the treat to your kitten with positive reinforcement, such as gentle praise or petting. This helps create a positive association with the treat and encourages your kitten to enjoy it.
- Monitor your kitten’s response: Observe your kitten’s reaction to the treat. Some kittens may take to it immediately, while others may need time to explore and develop a preference. Respect your kitten’s preferences and avoid forcing them to eat the treat.
- Gradually increase treat frequency: As your kitten becomes familiar with and enjoys them, gradually increase the frequency of treat rewards. However, it’s essential to maintain a balance and ensure treats remain a small portion of their overall diet.
- Consider treat variety: Offering a variety can add excitement and prevent your kitten from becoming too reliant on a single treat. Just ensure all treats meet the nutritional requirements for kittens.
Remember, treats should never replace a balanced and nutritious diet. They should be given in moderation and as a supplement to their regular meals.
Can I use kitten treats for training purposes?
Yes, kitten treats can be an effective tool for training purposes. They serve as a positive reinforcement and can motivate kittens to learn new behaviors or commands.
Here’s how you can use kitten treats for training:
- Choose suitable options: Select small-sized treats that are easy for your kitten to consume quickly during training sessions. Soft treats that can be easily broken into smaller pieces are often ideal.
- Establish a reward system: Assign a specific treat as a reward for desired behaviors. This could be sitting, coming when called, or performing tricks. Make sure the treat is highly palatable and enticing for your kitten.
- Timing is crucial: Offer the treat immediately after your kitten performs the desired behavior. This helps establish a clear connection between the action and the reward. Timing is key to reinforcing the desired behavior effectively.
- Keep training sessions short: Kittens have shorter attention spans, so keep training sessions brief and engaging. Aim for multiple short sessions throughout the day rather than long, exhaustive ones. This helps maintain your kitten’s interest and focus.
- Gradually reduce treat frequency: Once your kitten learns and consistently performs the desired behavior, you can gradually reduce the frequency of treat rewards. Transition to intermittent reinforcement, where you reward your kitten occasionally instead of every time. Verbal praise and petting can also serve as rewards.
- Use positive reinforcement consistently: Consistency is important in training. Always reward your kitten with treats and praise when they exhibit the desired behavior. This reinforces their understanding and motivation to repeat the behavior.
Remember, training should be a positive and enjoyable experience for your kitten. Use treats to encourage and reward desired behaviors, but ensure a balanced approach by providing regular meals and keeping them to a small portion of their diet.
In conclusion, choosing the best kitten treats is a responsibility that pet owners should take seriously. By considering factors such as age-appropriateness, high-quality ingredients, nutritional value, and your kitten’s individual needs, you can ensure you’re providing snacks that are both delicious and beneficial. With the right selection, you can reward your kitten’s good behavior, strengthen the bond between you, and contribute to their overall health and well-being. So go ahead and explore the world of snacks for kittens, keeping in mind the valuable information and reviews provided in this article to make informed decisions and offer your furry friend the finest treats they deserve.
[templatera id= “3493224”]