Feral Kitten Who Interrupted Baseball Game Is Safe & Sound

Written by: Adri Sandoval
Adri Sandoval is the Special Projects Manager for iHeartDogs and iHeartCats. Her work has deepened her love for animals, fostering a strong passion for rescue and animal advocacy.Read more
| Published on August 14, 2017

UPDATE: St. Louis Feral Cat Outreach has decided that Rally Cat will not be going to the St. Louis Cardinals out of fear that he would be used solely for commercial purposes. Now that he won’t be going to live with the Cardinals, he may be available for adoption soon.

A 16-week-old feral kitten that ran across the field of a St. Louis Cardinals game Wednesday afternoon has been rescued and is now in quarantine while his future is being determined.

St. Louis Feral Cat Outreach caught a cat Thursday night, and on Friday they confirmed that it was the Rally Cat.


Savannah Rigley, a board member with St. Louis Feral Cat Outreach, told STL Today:

“We are pretty confident that this is Rally Cat. This is cat-nerd stuff, but Rally Cat is a classic tabby, which is very rare, and last night we found a classic tabby kitten right where Rally Cat was last seen.”

A Facebook post from the group went on to say, “We are confident he is the right cat because of the bands on his legs and the bullseye on his back.”

Immediately after a groundskeeper (who clearly didn’t know how to handle cats) removed Rally Cat from the field, Yadier Molina hit a grand slam that helped the Cardinals win the game. After the groundskeeper set Rally Cat down, a fan snatched him up and claimed the cat was hers. The cat jumped out of her arms and ran away shortly after they left the stadium.

Since Rally Cat bit the groundskeeper, he must be quarantined for 10 days. The St. Louis Cardinals have asked to adopt the male kitten, but his future hasn’t been decided yet. St. Louis Feral Cat Outreach has trapped, neutered, and returned about 500 cats this year in the St. Louis area. Whatever happens, at least Rally Cat is now safe and sound!

(H/T: KSDK, STL Today, WTOP)